Danish WW2 Pilots

Jørgen Ryhl Bineau

(1921 - 1945)

Jørgen Ryhl Bineau volunteers for the Royal Norwegian Air Force during the Second World War. He is killed in action on 5 April 1945.

Jørgen Ryhl Bineau is born on 1 April 1921 in Vanløse, Copenhagen. He is the son of Frands Emil Leopold Binau and Marie Frederikke Vilhelmine Binau (nee Ryhl). Jørgen Ryhl Bineau volunteers for the Royal Norwegian Air Force during the Second World War.

I have few details on his life before the war apart from the fact, that U.S. Immigration records confirm that he is at sea in 1940-41. Having signed on in Charleston on 27 May 1940, he arrives at New York as ordinary seaman on-board M/S ESSO BALBOA from Aruba on 13 August 1940. He is discharged from M/S CHILE from Stockholm, Sweden, on 4 July 1941 having signed on in New York on 28 December 1940. I presume that he volunteers for Norwegian service at this point in time.

At No. 330 (Norwegian) Squadron

He is trained as wireless operator mechanic and is posted to No. 330 (Norwegian) Squadron presumably in the beginning of July 1944.

On 13/14 July 1944 he is on the first operational sotie that I have been able to trace in the operational record book. Sunderland Mk. III (ML780 ‘A/330’) takes of at 1320 hrs. on 13 July 1944 and returns on 217 hrs. the following morning. The aircraft is piloted by fenrik (Second Lieutenant) Naustdal.

The following months J R Bineau participates in nearly 40 operational sorties, mainly patrol missions captained by Naustdal, but from the beginning of March 1944 as part of Lieutenant Buer’s crew.

The Last Mission

On 5 April 1945 Sunderland Mk. III (PP140 ‘V/330’) takes off from Sullom Voe at 1100 hrs. The aircraft is captained by Lieutenant Olav Benum. According to Meyer (1973) the aircraft is piloted by fenrik Harald Morten Wiese; he is on his first mission as pilot.

At 1525 the aircraft is contacted but does not respond. At 1530 HQ 18 Group reports that an B-24 Liberator of No. 311 Squadron has reported to have seen a Sunderland crash into the see. A summary of the report can be seen in the 330 squadron operational record book.

A/C […] was passed by Sunderland ½ miles to starboard flying directly on reciprocal and at the same height. Puffs of white smoke were seen coming from one of starboard engines. Navigators also saw flame coming as he thought from exhaust. Mid turret and rear gunners caught glimps 5 miles to stern of Sunderland attempt landing on the sea. Immediately afterwards the Sunderland hit water and appeared to turn over on its back. A column of smoke rose about 2000 feet.

The 12 crewmembers were all killed. Apart from O Benum, H M Wiese and Bineau these were sersjant (sergeant) Olav Thorsen (3rd pilot), vingsersjant Magne Hovda (navigator), sergeants Bror Wilfed Sjøgren (WOP/AG), Adolf Herman Franzen (WOP/AG), Ole Edvardt Johansen (WOP/AG), Bjarne Hjalmar Christensen (F/ENG), Kåre Egil Lea (FME/AG), Hans Mikkelsen (A/G) and Kåre Arctander Johansen (A/G).

(Ancker, 2001; Meyer, 1973; AIR 27/1723; U.S. Immigration Records)